- Sobajima M, Nozawa T, Ihori H, Shida T, Ohori T, Suzuki T, Matsuki A, Yasumura S, Inoue H. Repeated sauna therapy improves myocardial perfusion in patients with chronically occluded coronary artery-related ischemia. Int J Cardiol. 2013 Jul 15;167(1):237-43. doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2011.12.064. Epub 2012 Jan 13. PMID: 22244482.
- Rhonda P. Patrick, Teresa L. Johnson, Sauna use as a lifestyle practice to extend healthspan, Experimental Gerontology, Volume 154, 2021, 111509, ISSN 0531-5565,
- Sauna As A Lifestyle Practice
- Abstract: Sauna use, sometimes referred to as “sauna bathing,” is characterized by short-term passive exposure to high temperatures, typically ranging from 45 °C to 100 °C (113 °F to 212 °F), depending on modality. This exposure elicits mild hyperthermia, inducing a thermoregulatory response involving neuroendocrine, cardiovascular, and cytoprotective mechanisms that work in a synergistic fashion in an attempt to maintain homeostasis. Repeated sauna use acclimates the body to heat and optimizes the body’s response to future exposures, because this is likely due to the biological phenomenon known as hormesis. In recent decades, sauna bathing has emerged as a probable means to extend healthspan, based on compelling data from observational, interventional, and mechanistic studies. Of particular interest are the findings from large, prospective, population-based cohort studies of health outcomes among sauna users that identified strong dose-dependent links between sauna use and reduced morbidity and mortality. This review presents an overview of sauna practices; elucidates the body’s physiological response to heat stress and the molecular mechanisms that drive the response; enumerates the myriad health benefits associated with sauna use; and describes sauna use concerns.
- Keywords: Cardiorespiratory fitness; Cardiovascular disease; Heat shock protein; Heat stress; Hormesis; Hyperthermia
OSTEOPATHIC RESOURCES LINKS
The C word.
BOOKS I RECOMMEND:
Owning The Sun : Alexander Zaitchik
Unsettled : Steven E. Koonin
Guns, Germs and Steel : Jared Diamond
How to lie with Statistics: Darrell Huff
The Shadow Effect : Deepak Chopra
In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Gabor Mate
Massage Therapy Principles and Practice : Elsevier Saunders
Osteopathy Models for Diagnosis Treatment and Practice : Churchill Livingstone
Muscle Energy Techniques : Chaitow
Orthopedic Massage Whitney Lowe
Thomas Hanna Somatics
Deep Tissue Massage Riggs
Read my Hips Wolf Schamberger
Information comes from many resources, hours of research. Dedicated to lifelong learning.